Congratulations to our 2017 Red Team Chili Cook Off Winner… Rina Kim! Rina has kindly shared her award-winning recipe with us! Rina deterred from the recipe by adding one secret ingredient… a Taco Bell taco seasoning packet! Try adding that for an amazing taste explosion.
Slow Cooked Chili Recipe
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 (16 oz.) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 oz.) can chili beans, undrained
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4 oz.) can tomato paste
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes (or ground red pepper)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can whole corn kernels (optional)
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream to top (optional)
- In a skillet, sauté onions and garlic until tender over medium heat, flavor with salt and pepper; transfer to slow cooker. In same skillet, add beef and cook until no longer pink; flavor with 1 TSP salt and 1/2 TSP pepper; drain. While meat is cooking, in a small bowl mix together 2 TBS of chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper flakes, dried oregano and rest of salt and pepper. Add this mixture to the browned meat and transfer to slow cooker.
- Add the green pepper, remaining chili powder, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4 hours. During the last 2 hours of cooking, add the beans and corn kernels (if you want).